Accommodation & Prices
We have 3 different seasons in KBL and the situation on-site varies accordingly:
[toggle_content title=”Winter Retreats”]
In autumn, winter and early spring you can stay in one of the two houses, but you will have to provide your own food. Please find out in advance if someone will be at KBL during your planned visit and what you will need to bring along.
- Very important: when planning a retreat in autumn, winter and early spring, be sure to write an e-mail to BerchenLing@diamondway-center.org.
- Contact Jan at +30 695 720 9904 beforehand concerning the current accommodations for guests at KBL. Otherwise, you may find that no one is there when you arrive.
- €7 per person per day for staying in the house
- Shuttle from Xylokastro/Kiato one way: €20
- Contact Jan at +30 695 720 9904.
[toggle_content title=”Building period”]
Food is provided by the team organising the course or building period. Depending on how many people are on site, you may be able to stay in the houses, but you also might have to sleep in your tent. Therefore, bring a tent regardless.
Contact the person responsible for registration, which is the current house keeper. You will find the responsible person at, otherwise please contact Jan (see…).
- €17 per person per day for staying in the house
- €15 per person per day for camping
- Shuttle from Xylokastro/Kiato to KBL (if someone can pick you up from KBL) – one way: €20
Three meals per day will be provided, and there will be a small shop and a snack bar for basic necessities. We cannot offer you rooms or a nearby hotel. You will have to sleep either in your own tent or in the meditation tent during the course.
Please register online (registration will be online approx. 3 months prior to the course).
Please check the course description (see the current programme).
As KBL is located at an altitude of around 1,270 meters, the nights can be rather chilly even in the usually very hot Greek summer and outright cold in September. The area is known by the locals as the place of the five winds, and we have experienced a few really heavy storms here. The location is very remote, and there is no large road, no shop nor supermarket anywhere near. This requires the organisation of special preparations and equipment beforehand.
[toggle_content title=”Please make sure to bring”]
- a strong and waterproof tent capable of surviving at least medium-strength storms
- a warm sleeping bag (one you would use in spring/autumn in Central Europe)
- warm clothes for the evenings
- a wind and water-resistant jacket
- a flashlight
- solid shoes
- sun protection: a hat and strong sunblock
- enough cash for your entire stay
If you take medication on a regular basis, please make sure that you bring enough for the entire time you plan to spend in Greece.
[toggle_content title=”What you definitely do not need”]
The infrastructure of the centre does not have the capacity to offer Central European standards for our guests. Water is a rare resource at Karma Berchen Ling. Therefore, be prepared and bring enough clothes (especially t-shirts) to avoid unnecessary washing. The sanitary as well as the electricity situation are best described as primitive camping conditions. Therefore, please DO NOT bring:
- electric kettles, water-boilers
- hair dryers
- or any other device that needs extra energy
Location & How to get there
We apologize for not being able to pick you up from the airport, but public transport is easy and good. The easiest way is to take the train to Kiato where the shuttle will pick you up (see below). If you want to rent a car we advise to use a comparison website like rentalcars.com. It is advisable to chose a rental car station inside the terminal.
[message]If you arrive in Athens after 21:00 local time,
you will NOT make it to KBL on the same day with public transport/shuttle service. Please get in contact with our friends from the Athen’s Sangha. They will try to accommodate you for one night in the center or give you advice on where to stay in Athens. [/message]
[message]If you departure from Athens before 9:00 am,
you will NOT get to the airport in time with public transport on the same day. You have to travel to Athens on the day before your departure unless you find a private lift by car to the airport. Please get in contact with the local Sangha if you need help with your accommodation. [/message]
Please, send an email to our friends at the Athen’s-Acropolis center.
Buddhist Center Athens-Acropolis
Lagoumitzi 42 str.
Phone: +30 (210) 9238247
Mobile: Dimitris +30 (697) 7235654 or Jan +30 (695) 7209904
Please choose one of the following possibilities to reach KBL:
[toggle_content title=”By Train”]
- You can go from Athens airport to Kiato by suburban railway. The train station is in front of the airport. First train is 5:44 and then every hour; last train is 21:44. Travel time to Kiato 1:34′.
- You buy your ticket at the train station for 14 €. A round-trip ticket costs 22 €. If you are under 18 or over 65, you get a 50% discount. Attention, you have to validate your ticket BEFORE you enter the platform.
- As soon as you entered the train, please confirm your time of arrival with a text message to the shuttle phone (+30 694 6080969).
- Our shuttle will pick you up at Kiato train station.
- If you want to go swimming in the sea, take a taxi from Kiato to Xylokastro (Touristiko beach), price is 15 to 20 €. There is a nice Greek restaurant as well. The shuttle will pick you up at Touristiko beach.
[toggle_content title=”By Bus”]
- You can also come to Xylokastro by bus, changing buses once. Take an express bus (X93 Athens Airport – Kifisos Intercity Bus Station Express) from the airport to Athens central bus station, which runs almost every 20 minutes during the day (5 €, about a one-hour ride). Get off at the final stop.
- Go to the ticket office for “Korinthos” and buy a ticket to Xylokastro (one way 12.90 €, a round-trip ticket 22,50 € per person, including a seat reservation). First bus leaves at 7:30, 8:30, … every hour until 21:30. It is a beautiful trip along the coast: travel time between 1.5 – 2.5 hours depending on traffic. Get off at the “Cinema” bus stop in Xylokastro. Walk toward the water, turn right and within 2 min you will have reached our meeting point — the church area (seaside).
[toggle_content title=”Our shuttle fees per person”]
- Pick up from Kiato: 20 €
- Pick up from Yelini: €5
[toggle_content title=”Map: From Athens Airport to Xylokastro”]
From the airport take the highway in direction Athens (Highway nr. 6). Stay on the highway in direction Elefsina and afterwards always direction Corinth and then always direction Patras. Take the exit Xylokastro.
See the route in Google maps.
[toggle_content title=”Map: Xylokastro to KBL”]
- Take the exit Xylokastro and turn left at the first crossing. After you pass under the highway you turn left in direction Trikala. Follow the road for 6.7 km.
- After a combination of sharp curves stay straight in direction Trikala. The street gets bigger and it has one proper lane in each direction. Follow this road for 11.7 km. You will know you are on the right way, if you see the BP Petrol station on your left-hand side after 1.2 km.
- After 11.7 km when the main road turns left in direction Trikala you stay right and immediately take the next turn left in front of a restaurant.
- After 400m, when the street ends, take a sharp left and cross a small bridge.
- Stay on this street for 5.3 km until you come to a small village called Sofiana.
- The street ends and you take a left turn in direction of Yelini passing a spring on your left-hand side and stay on the road for 5.9 km
- After 4.1 km keep left, when the road splits into left and right. After 5.9 km turn left at the the spring.
- After 300m turn right in front of a bar/restaurant and immediately turn left and go up the road (quite steep).
- After 1.5 km the asphalt road ends and turns into a dirt road.
- Another 500 m and you made it!!!
See the route in Google maps.
[toggle_content title=”From Patras (Ferry Boat)”]
If you plan to come by car, there are ferries going from Ancona and Venice in Italy to Patras. When you arrive at Patras Port, follow the national road to Athens. At km 142, take the Derveni exit (see map below), and turn towards Eurostina/Rozena up into the mountains. When you reach the village Evrostina, you can stop for a coffee at Yorgos’ restaurant; he’s a good friend of ours. Continue up the curvy street into the mountains. After around 5 km you’ll see the large water tanks of a fish farm on the right-hand side. Turn left there into a bumpy, unpaved country road. After about 9 km, winding its way through the rocky environment you’ll reach Karma Berchen Ling. Whenever there is a turn, keep right and proceed uphill until you can see the centre and the entrance gate. We will put up KBL signs to make it easy to find. If you’ll be using public transportation, go to Patras bus station (Zaimi Str. 2) and buy a ticket to Xylokastro (€5.50). Usually there is a bus that departs every 30 minutes, beginning at 5:00 in the morning until around midnight. Please be aware of the extra time (45 minutes) it takes to drive up to the mountain when planning your journey.
See the route in Google maps.[/toggle_content]